This is a lovely flaky golden puff pastry, which is topped with red onion, tomato and my homemade vegan spinach and basil pesto. Perfect for a quick, light midweek meal.
For the pesto, you’ll need:
- 75g wilted baby spinach
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 25g pine nuts
- 20g dairy-free parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp of dried basil
- Pinch of salt
For the tart, you’ll need:
- Your homemade pesto (above)
- 1 pre-rolled sheet of puff pastry
- 3 ripe vine tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- A splash of unsweetened plant-based milk
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried mixed herbs
Puff Pastry Pesto Tart
To make the pesto:
1. Pop the spinach into a sieve, and pour a little boiling water over leaves until they wilt. Once the start to wilt leave them for a couple of minutes to cool.
2. Add the spinach into a food processor, along with the rest of the ingredients listed, then just blitz it until smooth.
To make the pastry:
1. Allow the pastry to come to room temperature, once it does carefully unroll it.
2. Use a knife to gently score a line into the pastry one centimeter from the edge, brush the outer pastry with a little plant milk.
3. Use the back of a spoon to evenly spread the pesto on the rest of the pastry.
4. Thinly slice the tomato and red onion, then alternately layer them on top of the pesto.
5. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and pepper, then finally sprinkle over the herbs.
6. Bake at 220ºC/200ºC fan assisted/400ºF for 25 minutes. Remove the tart from the oven a couple of minutes before it is done to sprinkle over a few spinach leaves, then return to oven (this is optional). Then slice, serve and enjoy.
Extra tip: If you prefer you can use shop-bought pesto, most supermarkets carry vegan pesto. It will be in the free-from section.
This recipe is full of goodness
- Loaded with vitamins – A, K, D & C
- Rich in minerals – magnesium, iron & zinc
- Good source of dietary fibre
Spinach is well known for its many health benefits. One benefit of this superfood is its ability to help ease muscle and joint pain and relax muscles due to its high magnesium content and anti-inflammatory properties.